Chicken Pot Pie
Classic dish made 100% gluten free
Chicken Pot Pie with a little lattice work on the crust: this comfort dish is a classic that dates back decades and making a tasty gluten free version is a win. I do a classic filling with a single crust on top to make it lighter and less dense. The filling consists of chicken, carrot, onion, celery, potato, peas, and gravy all mixed together and with flaky crust on top. Decided to pull out my baking skills too by attempting my first pie lattice and not bad for a rookie. Grab a plate, a slice and let’s enjoy this Sunday comfort food.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 1 hour
2 c AP GF flour plus 2 T
8 T butter plus 2 T
1/4 t salt plus to taste
1 T sugar
1/2 t xanthan gum
2-3 chicken breasts cubed
2 carrots diced
1/2 onion chopped
2 celery stalks diced
2 potatoes peeled par cooked and cubed
1 c peas
1.5 c chicken broth
Pepper to taste
1 t parsley
1 egg beaten
2 T olive oil
1. Combine 2 c flour, salt, sugar, xanthan gum.
2. Cut in butter.
3. Form crust in disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill one hour.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium. Sauté onion, carrot, celery for 3-4 mins.
5. Stir in chicken, cook 5 mins.
6. Add peas and potatoes and cook 2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Heat 2 T butter and 2 T flour in saucepan. Whisk to form roux. Stir in broth and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 mins.
8. Stir gravy into chicken mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease pie dish.
10. Pour down chicken mixture.
11. Roll out dough and cut 1/2 inch strips. Make lattice design. Brush with egg.
12. Bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown. Let cool a few mins then serve.