Updated: Jul 4
The pizza that every Chicagoan grew up with: Deep Dish
It's good to be back in Chicago with this Deep Dish Pizza. Everyone talks about their favorite place from Lou Malnati’s to Gino’s East to Giordano’s; the thing is it’s so hard to find good GF deep dish. The only places I know that are have one are Chicago's Pizza in the city, and Lou Malnati's just released a deep dish one. When I wasn't living in Chicago, I was forced to make one myself; and I got the recipe down. All the flavors you would find eating in Chicago, and the crust is the best part. It's all cooked in a cast iron skillet and perfect for sharing. Crispy crust, rich red sauce, crumbled Italian sausage, and ooey gooey cheese. Grab a slice and let's head to Chicago!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Inactive Time: 1 hr and 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr and 30 mins
3.5 c AP GF Flour
2 T cornmeal
2 t salt plus more to taste
1 t sugar
1 pkg yeast
1.25 c warm water
1 T butter
2 T olive oil plus more for greasing
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1.5 T GF tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 t xanthan gum
1/2 T fennel seed
1 onion diced
2 T garlic minced
1.5 T oregano dry
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
Pepper to taste
12 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
1/3 c Parmesan cheese shredded
1 lb GF Italian sausage
1.5 T basil dry
1. Combine water, yeast and sugar in bowl. Let rest until foamy for 10 mins.
2. Mix flour, 2 t salt and xanthan gum in bowl. Add in yeast mixture. Mix until combined. Once mixed, stir in butter. Grease a large bowl with oil and add dough ball. Let rest covered at room temperature for one hour.
3. Heat 2 T oil in saucepan over medium. Sauté onion and garlic for 7-8 mins. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, crushed red, fennel seed, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer covered 35-40 mins.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 10 in cast iron and dust with cornmeal. Shape dough into pan with edges to the top.
5. Sprinkle 3/4 of mozzarella, sausage, and 3/4 of sauce (you won’t need anymore sauce). Top with Parmesan and remaining mozzarella.
6. Bake for 35-40 mins. Let cool 2 mins then slice.