Updated: Jul 4
Chicken in a tangy bbq sauce served alongside two jazzed up sides of potatoes and green beans
This meal brings out my Southern living with being in Texas and traveling around the South. Pulled Chicken with Alabama White Sauce, Smashed Potatoes, and Bacon Green Beans. A southern dinner with all the fixings and so much flavor. I got the idea for this dish after having Alabama White Sauce at Jethro’s BBQ in Iowa; and what better sides for BBQ than potatoes and green beans. Backtracking a bit, I first heard about Jethro's years ago, when Adam Richman ate their on an episode of Man v. Food in Des Moines. My dad and I were driving back from Kansas, and we saw the sign for the restaurant as we approached Des Moines. We were like let's try this place for lunch; I looked up the menu and found Celiac safe/gluten free options and the rest is history. The Alabama White sauce did not disappoint there. It is very addicting too, that you will be wanting more. Come on over for the Southern feast!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 c mayo
2 T Apple cider vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1/2 T horseradish
1 T mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T brown sugar
1.5 lbs baby potatoes
1 lb green beans trimmed and steamed
6 slices GF bacon cooked and crumbled
3 T butter
Olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper and roast for 30 mins. Let cool a few mins then shred.
2. Combine mayo, vinegar, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard, cayenne, Worcestershire, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
3. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Smash with a spatula until flattened and place on cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 mins until crispy.
5. Toss cooked green beans in bacon, butter and salt and pepper.
6. Drizzle sauce over chicken and serve with potatoes and green beans.