Updated: Jul 4, 2022
Mexican dish of breaded meat served with tortillas, lettuce, tomato and sour cream
One of my favorite dishes to order at Tacos El Norte growing up was Milanesa. Milanesa is breaded steak, pork or chicken; here it is breaded steaks served with tortillas, lettuce, tomato and sour cream. Tacos El Norte was my go to Mexican restaurant, and making this for dinner reminded me of that. The dinner always came with two big pieces of breaded steak, all the fixings seen here, tortillas, rice and beans. I could eat this dish multiple times a week, and it's a nice mashup of tacos.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
2 lbs steak, strip or ribeye pounded very thin
3/4 c cornstarch
4 eggs beaten
1.5 c rice flour or sorghum flour
1/2 T chili powder
1 t cumin
1 t GF paprika
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t Montreal steak seasoning
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 tomatoes chopped
Lettuce shredded for serving
Sour cream for serving
16 corn tortillas warmed
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place cornstarch in one bowl, eggs in a second and flour with all spices in a third. 3. 3. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
4. Dip steak in cornstarch, egg, flour and set on wax paper.
5. Heat oil in skillet over medium. Cook steaks 2 mins per side until breading is browned and crispy. Repeat with all steaks. Finish in oven for 8-10 mins to cook through.
6. Serve steaks cubed with tortillas, lettuce, tomato and sour cream.