Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup with rice noodles, multiple cuts of beef, fresh herbs and veggies and a low and slow cooked broth.
Who wants a big bowl of Pho? This Vietnamese noodle soup is one of my favorite dishes to have when I’m craving meat and noodles cause it combines it all. Plus the flavors are so homey and comforting. The first time I had Pho was from a hole in the wall place in Paris that served only that and Bo Bun. A few of my friends from Marquette suggested it to me and one day I just randomly stumbled upon it. It was located in the 3rd arrondissment, and there was always a line out the door cause locals knew it was the best around. Legit best Pho I’ve ever had and most memorable. My pho I've made here consists of rice noodles, two types of beef (brisket and sirloin), the broth, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, and sauces on top. Perfect to warm you up this time of year! Plus, you can customize this any way you want.
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 4.5 hours
2-3 lbs beef, multiple cuts such as sirloin and brisket
16 oz rice noodles cooked
1/3 c fish sauce
Lime juice garnish
Bean sprouts garnish
1 bunch scallions
1 T garlic minced
2 onions grilled
2 ginger root sliced thin
Thai Basil/Mint garnish
GF hoisin sauce garnish
2 T coriander
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
3 T sugar
1 T cinnamon
6 star anise
1 T fennel seed
1. Toast all spices.
2. Place in a cheese cloth once done and tie up.
3. Bring large pot of water to boil and add brisket.
4. Skim off dirt by boiling 5 mins. Drain and remove.
5. Add brisket, spice bag, onions, garlic, scallions, fish sauce and sugar to a deep pot.
6. Cover 3/4-7/8 of way with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 4 hrs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Slice sirloin meat very thin and set aside.
8. Place rice noodles in bowl. Top with brisket and sirloin. Ladle hot broth over. This will cook the sirloin.
9. Garnish with bean sprouts, cilantro, mint, lime juice, hoisin and sriracha.