Updated: Dec 25, 2022
Creamy cheesy mushroom goodness
Where’s the risotto?! Gordon Ramsay’s infamous words screaming at a chef on Hell’s Kitchen; that’s where I fell in love with this dish: Mushroom Risotto. I’ve watched the show from the beginning and even eaten the Risotto at his restaurants; you can’t go wrong with it. The first time I ever had the dish was in Puerto Rico at a resort's Italian restaurant. It was so good that I had it the next night too. There are so many versions of this dish, and it all comes down to the key ingredients of arborio rice, onion, parmesan cheese, and chicken broth. From there, you can do mushroom like I made or even really jazz it up with Lobster, Tomato, or any ingredient that makes you happy.
It all comes down to the texture at the end with the rice being cooked al dente. The perfect bite of rice, cheese and creaminess all in one.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25-30 mins
1 lb mushrooms sliced
1 onion chopped
1 T garlic minced
2 T butter
4 T olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 t ground thyme
1/2 c white wine
4-6 c chicken broth
1.5 c Arborio rice
1 t oregano dry
1 t basil dry
1/2 c Parmesan cheese shredded
Parsley for garnish
1. Heat 1 T oil and 1 T butter in skillet over medium.
2. Sauté onion and garlic for 4-5 mins.
3. Stir in rice and toast for 1 min.
4. Deglaze pan with wine.
5. Add chicken broth to cover rice about 1 c at a time and stir frequently adding more until liquid is absorbed. Repeat until rice is cooked, about 18 mins.
6. While rice is cooking, heat 2 T oil over medium in skillet. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté 5-6 mins until tender.
7. Stir in mushrooms, 1 T oil, 1 T butter, basil, oregano and Parmesan to rice and mix for 1 min. Cheese will melt in and risotto will be creamy.
8. Remove from heat and garnish with parsley.