The Thai salad that packs umami in every bite
This healthy Thai salad is one of my new favorite dishes I tried this year. I did a ton of traveling over the summer and one of my most memorable meals was Larb for Thai takeout, while I was in Atlanta. I had ordered Thai takeout so much in Dallas that I was shocked I had never tried Larb before; I’m not sure what made me try it that night…maybe eating so much takeout from being on the road a ton. Whatever it was, I had a major craving for it this week and it came out perfect! The ground chicken with the fresh herbs, veggies, sweet and sour sauce all in one bite. I like to eat it with lettuce or cabbage, and it’s just as good on its own too. You know it’s a winner when your parents go back for seconds and thirds too! Make this Thai dish at home today, especially if you're looking for a healthy meal.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 mins
1 lb ground chicken
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
3 T lime juice
4 scallions chopped
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
3 T fish sauce
1/4 c mint fresh and chopped
2 Serrano peppers diced
Lettuce or cabbage leaves for serving
1/4 c rice crushed
3 T brown sugar
1/4 c cilantro fresh and chopped
2 T vegetable oil
1 T garlic minced
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium.
2. Add chicken, rice, garlic, salt and pepper cooking for 5-6 mins.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl to let meat cool to room temperature.
4. Mix together lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar and crushed red. Set aside.
5. Stir in scallion, red onion, serrano, cilantro and mint. Add sauce and stir everything to combine.
6. Serve Larb with lettuce or cabbage.