Succulent fish with a creamy risotto with seafood throughout
Kia Ora! Headed back to New Zealand today with this Pan Seared Fish with Saffron Shrimp Risotto. I had the pleasure of enjoying this dish while wine tasting on Waiheke Island. Waiheke Island is an island accessible by ferry off the coast of Auckland that is known for its wineries. The island offers a hop on and hop off bus between the 17 wineries making it easy to get around from place to place. Additionally, there are several restaurants right along the beach with Ki Maha being one of them. This is where I had the pleasure of eating the dish and staring out to the ocean. The perfect lunch after lots of wine, and you know it’s been a good day when you go swimming in the ocean in the rain. Cheers! 🍷 🐠
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
4 fish fillets such as mahi mahi or red snapper
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 T butter
1/2 onion chopped
1 T garlic minced
1 t saffron
1/2 lb shrimp peeled deveined cooked
1/4 c white wine
1 qt chicken broth
1/2 c Parmesan shredded
Fresh herbs garnish
1 c arborio rice
Lemon juice garnish
1. Heat oil and 1 T butter over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion and garlic 3-4 mins.
3. Stir in rice and toast 1 min.
4. Deglaze with wine.
5. Start adding chicken broth to just cover rice reducing heat to medium low. Add saffron, salt and pepper. Cook for 18 mins.
6. Stir in remaining butter and Parmesan when a bit of broth left. You want there to be liquid.
7. Remove from heat and fold in shrimp.
8. Heat skillet over medium heat with few tablespoons oil.
9. Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides.
10. Sear skin side down and then flip, 2-3 mins per side.
11. Spoon risotto and broth onto plate. Top with fish. Drizzle with lemon juice and garnish with fresh herbs.